Sunday, May 12, 2013

An Enchanting City

My whole life I've always said, believed, and reassured myself that I am not a city girl. My little tomboy soul would rebel at the slightest hint of "girly-ness," and for some odd reason there was a correlation in my mind between city life and being girly. Perhaps I was a self-righteous "suburbian," filled with a great affection for mountains. Who can understand the mind of a kid, but the One who carefully forms it? All that to say, I am developing a starkly contrasting perspective on what Urban life is. It's fascinating and I am learning to enjoy it very much!

Madrid, Spain is perhaps one of the most exciting and lovely places I have ever been. Apart from my nerdy obsession with the gorgeous Spanish language, the culture, architecture, food, tempo and way of life here are something I have never seen before. How can I even describe what is so fun about passing "Cervezarias" and "Cafeterias" on the way to the metro, or hearing the hustle and bustle below from 6 floors up, or knowing that when I walk outside I will be walking the streets of Spain? I love trying new things and stretching myself. It's scary sometimes, but God is teaching me that one of the many ways to become more like Christ and trust him better is to actually need to trust him. Perhaps what is so captivating about Spain is how different it is here than in the U.S. Different from the U.S. is a far cry from a negative thing in my book, however. Maybe I love Spain because of the food (which isn't unlikely). The likeliest explanation is that I am in Madrid with a marvelous, sweet family that I adore, and it's basically just awesome! I don't quite know it's "personality" yet, but I will be trying to post things I am learning as I carry on through my month here. Be checking for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment